So, this is my first ever style/fashion-related post…um, frankly because I don’t consider myself to be particularly “in the know” about clothing trends or brands. Like, at all!
But by some stroke of luck I’ve managed to impress more than one reader out there (?!?) and have received enough requests for a shopping/packing/travel style post that I’m actually sitting here writing it – seriously, you guys flatter me!
Before we dive into “what’s in my suitcase,” I want to share a few disclaimers about my personal style:
- I HATE wearing pants.
- Dresses and rompers are my jam.
- I’m obsessed with anything that’s floral, flowy, and feminine (gotta look good for the ‘gram!).
- I also love basic, plain t-shirts and t-shirt dresses that are easy to throw on and re-wear often.
- Casual + cute + comfortable = happiness!
- I’m all about finding deals and affordable options – I don’t drop serious dough on clothes unless it’s something I expect to last me a loooong time (I’d rather spend $ on travel!).
- Did I mention that I hate wearing pants?!
If you can relate to one or more of those points, my travel style & clothing essentials guide might actually be of use to you. Yay!
The below retailers are all places that I shop at regularly.
I tried my hardest to showcase exact products that I’ve purchased and wear (and most of the below items are ones I actually own!), but in cases where I couldn’t find an exact match, I’ve linked to similar products.
Yep, you read that right – I shop for clothes on Amazon ALL. THE. TIME. I’m sort of obsessed!
Actually, I kind of consider Amazon my “secret weapon” for affordable, trendy, Instagram-worthy rompers and dresses. You can find a lot of really cute styles in the $10-20 range, and I usually end up being surprised by how soft and high quality (at least for the price) the fabrics are. Much better than anything you’d find at Forever 21 or similar fast fashion brands!
- Women’s Backless Romper – $15.99 – Patterned rompers and dresses like this one are my go-to for cute blog and Instagram-worthy snaps.
- Floral Adjustable Top Playsuit – $19.99 – This romper is SO COOL. The top part can be arranged and tied in a bunch of different ways, making it super versatile. The neckline is quite plunging though!
- Tie Dye Loose Swing Dress – $14.99 – I was shocked by how soft the fabric of this dress (as well as the 3 dresses linked below) turned out to be. I wear them all the time – so comfy and cute!
- ROMWE Women’s Short Sleeve Tie Dye Ombre Dress: $12.99
- Casual T-Shirt Dress in Navy – $12.22
- Casual Swing T-Shirt Dress in Wine Red – $16.99
I also really dig Amazon’s swimsuit selection, which manages to be ultra-cheap and really cute. The quality isn’t amazing, but it’s not bad either…especially considering you’re paying $25 or less for an entire “look.”
- “Always on Vacay” Baywatch-Inspired One Piece Swimsuit – $25.99 – Be warned, this is SUPER cheeky and high cut…which I kind of love, but it’s also inspired me to start doing more squats.
- Women’s High Cut One Piece Bathing Suit – $22.55 – I call this one my “Baywatch suit” 😉 I have it in black and red!
- Two Piece Off-Shoulder Ruffled Bikini – $17.47 – Perfect for when you want to look good on the beach AND indulge in lots of food and frozen drinks!
- Tropical Leaves Bikini Set – $24.99 – I swear I started seeing this bikini pop up all over Instagram, and was immediately in love with the tropical print.
I own a downright shocking number of maxi dresses and rompers from Target.
Several of the outfits featured in my Croatia blog posts were from Target – sadly it looks like all of those exact pieces are sold out, but I own several of the items below and love them too!
- LUX II Women’s Border Printed Maxi Dress with Ruffle • $32.99
- Spenser Jeremy Women’s Embroidered Tank Dress with Pom Pom Hem • $37.99
- Chiasso Women’s 3/4 Sleeve Cold Shoulder Shift Dress • $34.99
- Mossimo Supply Co. Women’s Surplice Cold Shoulder Romper Floral Print • Mossimo • $22.99
- nitrogen Women’s Sleeveless Printed Romper Black • $44.99
- Mossimo Supply Co. Women’s Surplice Cold Shoulder Romper Navy Stripe • Mossimo • $22.99
Target is my FAVORITE place to shop for bikinis. They’re really stepped up their swimsuit game over the years, and all of the suits I own from there are very flattering and super on-trend. The bikini featured in the bottom right corner is probably the most supportive bikini top I’ve ever owned!
- Vanilla Beach Women’s Floral Scalloped Pullover Fixed Triangle Bikini Top • Vanilla Beach • $14.98–16.18
- Tori Praver Seafoam Women’s Longline Racerback Bikini Top Caribbean Blue • $20.98
- Mossimo Women’s Midi Long Line Bralette Bikini Top – Mossimo • Mossimo • $22.99
- Shade & Shore Women’s Vacay Midi Bandeau Bikini Top – Orchid Tile Print • $27.99
- Tori Praver Seafoam Women’s Floral Pullover Underwire Longline Bikini Top – Indigo Blue • $34.99
- Shade & Shore Women’s Shore Midi Halter Bikini Top – Deep Blue Tie Dye • $29.99
Urban Outfitters tends to be hit or miss for me, but they do stock a couple of brands and pieces that I really love (like the Kimchi Blue items below).
I tend to stalk their online sales and in-store sale racks to find affordable items, but I’ll occasionally “splurge” on fun patterned pieces like the ones below (I mean, if you consider $50 a splurge…which I kind of do, whoops!).
- Kimchi Blue Deveraux Cutout Twist Maxi Dress • Kimchi & Blue • $49.99
- Kimchi Blue Off-The-Shoulder Smocked Dress • Kimchi & Blue • $69
- Kimchi Blue Verlina Smocked Bodice Mini Dress • Kimchi & Blue • $29.99
- Kimchi Blue Snow Queen Embellished Mini Dress • Kimchi & Blue • $59.99
J Crew Factory
J Crew Factory is good for stocking up on staples like solid print t-shirts, v-necks, dresses and shorts. Their clothing is comfortable – perfect those casual travel days – and usually good quality for the price. Plus, every now and then you find something unexpectedly fun and colorful!
They’re also great for cheap accessories like sunglasses and jewelry. I stopped buying Ray Bans after too many lost/broken pairs, and now I rotate through a selection of 5 or 6 cheaper pairs instead.
- Clear Pink Mirror • J.Crew Factory • $17.50
- Navy White • J.Crew Factory • Sold Out – Sadly this became sold out after I added it to the list, but I’m keeping it on here in case they restock it (dear J Crew Factory…please restock it!).
- Pale Buff • J.Crew Factory • $29.50
- White • J.Crew Factory • $69.99
- Black • J.Crew Factory • $49.99
- Vintage Sun • J.Crew Factory • $59.99
- Ivory • J.Crew Factory • $29.99
- White • J.Crew Factory • $29.99
- White • J.Crew Factory • $24.99
And there you have it – all of my favorite affordable stores, brands and clothing items for travel! What are some of your favorite places to shop?
Like This Post? Let’s Connect!
This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase using these links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!